Guitar Pro Review – My rating: 9.8 of 10
Whether you are a beginner or an expert guitar player, at some point you will need a guitar software that can at least view tablature. In this Guitar Pro review, we are going to find out if it's truly the best guitar software out there, and whether you do need it or not.
Guitar Pro is a software made mainly for the guitar – though it can be used for other instruments as well (since it does include and support notes for other instruments – we'll discuss this later on), that have the ability to view or read, write, and play guitar tablature in realistic high quality instrumental voice, including all the techniques that come along with the tab such as vibrato, bending, etc.
Some tabs are written in a text “.txt” file and you can simply open the file or print it and start playing immediately. Most of the tabs out there, however, are created in the Guitar Pro software, and thus can be opened and played by it exclusively.
However, I was able to find a freebie software, that have the ability to open and read tablature files of Guitar Pro (not all versions though), PowerTab and TablEdit. If all you need is viewing and reading tablature files, then perhaps you should consider getting this software instead and save few bucks. Download it here: TuxGuitar.
The latest version of Guitar Pro is version 6, so this review will talk exclusively about this version and its features.
Here's a quick overview of the Guitar Pro 6 software
- The lead software for reading and playing tabs from your computer, and now mobile and tablet too.
- Have the biggest collection of tabs on the internet, as well as a private collection by the company itself.
- Latest Version: Guitar Pro 6 – (5 previous versions means 5 times the experience, and shows market stability)
- Affordable price at only 59.9$ for the full unlimited access – Available here!
- Trial version available! try before you buy, no questions asked.
- Once purchased, it is allowed to be installed on 5 different computers!
- 19 languages available, 1 songbook and 1 guitar method.
- Not only can read and play tabs and sheet music, but also allows you to write and edit your compositions, and share them!
- Video tutorials to get you going on the software, available on their website and youtube! you won't get lost
- And much more. Read on …
Includes instruments other than the guitar, such as drums, bass and more
The Guitar Pro 6 software, counter to what the name implies, includes instruments other than the guitar. And playing a tab in Guitar Pro is an experience similar to listening to the whole song with all instruments on, while following a pointer on every tab played right off your screen.
Take the song Nothing Else Matters by Metallica, for example, it is like listening to the original song (with the vocal being played by a specific instrument), while following the song's tablature, with a pointer on each tab telling you where and what to play in real time, including all the effects (such as distortion, clean, flanger, wah-wah, etc) and techniques (bending, vibrato, slides, etc). Remove the guitar part and it will pretty much act like a backing track.
The many sounds available including:
- Guitars – from electric guitars, classical, acoustic, to exotic ones like banjos and mandolins
- Bass – electric, acoustic, fretless, and synth basses from 4 to 7 strings.
- Drums and Percussion
- Pianos and Synth
- Orchestral and Big Band – Strings ensemble, woodwind, brass, flute, harps, xylophones and vibes.
Guitar Pro is a very powerful tool that you can utilize to effectively enhance your guitar learning process, improve your playing techniques, reproduce songs that you like or compose your own, or creating backing tracks for you to play along or jam.
The things this software can do from a simple tab file is simply astonishing. I used Guitar Pro for over 10 years now, I used it to play and learn all kinds of songs and compositions, from classical masterpieces by J.S Bach, to modern metal and rock n roll music like Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden and more.
The ability to play all these tabs with high quality original instrumental sound, pause or slow down the tempo on the difficult parts and hear how it's really played, and hear how certain techniques actually sounds like (like extreme 5 notes bending up), have helped me learn them faster and more efficiently.
Credibility is an important matter!
True, when picking a new product to buy, regardless of all the good stuff being presented to us about the product, if some “trusted” source is commending the product, it increases the product's credibility and reputation by a large margin. There are PLENTY of known artists and famous musicians that use Guitar Pro and they are all mentioned in the Guitar Pro website, you can check the whole list there, even I got surprised and astonished by some of the names I saw there! among them:
- Michael Angelo Batio
- Stephen Souza
- George Bellas
Composing in Guitar Pro – easier than ever
If you are a singer as well, or have talent for music production and composition, Guitar Pro software have enough features to intrigue and inspire even the more experienced composers in the field. Features like adding and reading lyrics along the song, compose and read music notes using the musical notation of your favorite instrument, different tools for music compositions such as:
- Scales: View and listen, and can be displayed on the fret-board or the piano to simplify the music composition procedure, or create solos
- Chords: All the chords available on the fret-board
- Digital tuner and midi
- Virtual instruments: view and enter musical notes from a graphical representation of your instrument.
In conclusion …
This software got all the possible features any musician needs, whether you are a beginner guitarist eager to learn how to play, or a songwriter with a dream, this software opens up many opportunities to the music fans and professionals alike, to learn better, compose easier, or simply play along your favorite tracks, downloadable right from the community database. From my experience working with this software for many years now, it only gets better year after year, and with every new version release they add new features, enhance upon current ones, and the technical support is always there to help.
Nothing to hate about this program. If you are serious about finding a good guitar software, this is a highly recommended one no doubt.